Monday, January 24, 2011

Carousel


"Carousel", 2006, Oil on Canvas, 2'x3'

This was a painting that I did in my second year of art college. At the time I was taking some intense studio courses that had me riddled with self-doubt. My self-esteem plummeted even further after receiving a negative critique from one of my professors and I felt mortified at having to put it up on the wall to get critiqued from my peers. Before hand, I had thought up every bullshit justification and reason for every single brush stroke in this painting just in case I was slaughtered in my critique. However, my critique didn't end in bloodshed and tears but ended on a fairly positive note. A lot of people liked how the brush strokes had a child-like quality and was reminiscent of the subject matter. A few months later I ended up selling this painting.

Anyway, I decided to include this painting in my cabinet because of the significance it held for me later in my art and a much great obsession with the carousel motif.

No comments:

Post a Comment